Sponsored Links



Katrina Kaif Glamourous Image

‘I’m doing substantial roles now’
Katrina speaks about her forthcoming films and the issues close to her heart

You finally find yourself in the big league with so many hits.

I have been lucky for the last year or so with all my films Namastey London Partner, Welcome, Race and Singh Is Kinng becoming hits. It gives immense satisfaction but I still feel there’s a lot to learn. I count myself among the new generation of actors and I have a lot to give.

Since you are in the top league now, would you become choosy?

I don’t want to be choosy but certainly I am looking for variety. My next few films see me in different roles and none have any similarity. Even my role in Race had shades of grey and I enjoyed that. It gives a lot of satisfaction as an actor.

What next?

I have Raj Kumar Santoshi’s Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahani in which I am paired opposite Ranbir Kapoor. Then there is Prakash Jha’s Rajneeti, Blue, De Dhana Dhan and a film with Yash Raj Banner being produced by Aditya Chopra and directed by Kabir Khan.

There are rumours that you are emulating Sonia Gandhi in Rajneeti.

I am flattered by the comparison, no doubt. She is definitely a powerful person but I’m not emulating her.

Tell us about your role in Rajneeti.

When Prakash ji told me the story there was instant response from me and I was blown away by the story. I think it is a fantastic script. As this is political film, I did a lot of research on how politicians go about the process of campaigning, how they deliver speeches before crowds of thousands, and how they grow into powerful orators.

You are sans makeup and in simple cotton sarees in this film. This is quite different from your glamourous image.

I have got to another level with this film. People will now know that I can do other type of films as well. I have been part of successful films and now I’m glad I’m doing substantial roles. I am so pleased that I can finally prove those people wrong who has branded me as a glamourous doll.

You have worked with most of the established directors; will you work with new directors?

The first thing that I see before choosing a film is definitely the director. If a new person comes to me with a script and says ‘let’s go for it’, I should be really willing to take risks to agree and I guess that will also happen sometime. Though working with new directors is risky. A right director is my priority not an exciting script. If a director who can’t pull off a good script comes up to me with a fantastic script and I love it, it is still a meaningless and futile exercise to go ahead with the film. For me, who directs the film is of utmost importance.

— TWF


0 comments: